Our Best Practices for Adding Essential Oils to Your Shampoo and Conditioner (and Body Wash, Too!)
Adding essential oils to your shampoo and conditioner can provide a variety of benefits for your hair and scalp. Here are some instructions to follow to safely and effectively add essential oils to your hair care routine:
- Choose your essential oils: Start by selecting the essential oils you want to use based on your hair type and desired benefits. For example, lavender and peppermint oils are great for dry, itchy scalps, while tea tree and rosemary oils can help with dandruff and oily hair.
- Perform a patch test with your chosen oils to make sure you don't have a reaction to any of the oils you wish to use.
- Add the oil mixture to your shampoo or conditioner: Add a few drops of the mixture to your regular shampoo or conditioner. Start with a small amount, such as 5-10 drops per 8 ounces of product, and adjust based on your hair or skin needs. By adding your oils in small amounts at a time, you avoid over-scenting, and the possibility of breaking down the formula of your base.
- Shake well and use as normal: After adding the essential oils to your hair care products, shake the bottle well to ensure the oils are evenly distributed. Use the shampoo and conditioner as you normally would, focusing on the roots and scalp.
- Rinse thoroughly: Be sure to rinse your hair thoroughly to remove any leftover oils. It's also a good idea to avoid using hot water, as it can strip your hair of its natural oils and cause dryness.
By following these instructions, you can safely and effectively add essential oils to your shampoo, conditioner, and body wash providing a variety of benefits for your hair, scalp, and skin. However, it's important to do a patch test before using any new essential oil to ensure you're not allergic or sensitive to it. If you experience any irritation or discomfort, discontinue use immediately.